VARIOUS ARTISTS Kiss My Ass Goodbye (John Prine tribute) (RSD DROP 2)
VARIOUS ARTISTS Kiss My Ass Goodbye (John Prine tribute)
- Record Store Day 2021 Drop 2
- 2x LP
- Quantity: 1000
Kiss My Ass Goodbye is a left-of-center John Prine tribute album benefitting Nashville’s downtown homeless shelter, the Nashville Rescue Mission. The 20 song compilation features some of Prine’s best-known songs, and a surprising number of deep cuts performed by an eclectic group of artists. Included are Nashville A-listers associated with Prine, such as songwriter/guitarist/producer Will Kimbrough (Emmylou Harris/Rodney Crowell/Todd Snider), as well as underground rock ‘n’ roll heroes like T. Hardy Morris (Diamond Rugs) of Athens, Ga. In the case of nascent Nashville indie act Heaven Honey — recently named the Nashville Scene’s “Best New Band” — you have both, in a dreamy collaboration with legendary drummer Bryan Owings (John Prine, Emmylou Harris, Tony Joe White).
John Prine tributes have been common in the music world since well before the legendary songwriter passed away April 7, 2020, but Kiss My Ass Goodbye cuts a new path through Prine’s famous catalogue. You haven’t heard anything like the way homegrown Music City honky-tonker Mick Mullin sets the record straight with his reverent rewrite of the David Allan Coe classic “You Never Even Call Me By My Name” — which diehard Prine fans know was an uncredited Prine co-write with Steve Goodman. This Prine tribute may also be the first to feature a song that Prine himself covered, with a Blaze Foley classic performed by Nashville’s Justin and The Cosmics’ — the storied rock ‘n’ roll outfit of Deer Tick/Middle Brother producer Justin Collins. And it is most certainly the first to offer a hip-hop take on a Prine song, performed by Chicago-based Ifjams.
Portland-based Groove Family Records and Nashville’s Devil’s Tower Records have teamed up to release Kiss My Ass Goodbye, which also features original album art by sought-after Athens, Ga. visual artist Eli Saragoussi. Kindercore Vinyl is also a sponsor of this very special project. All proceeds from vinyl and digital sales will benefit the Nashville Rescue Mission, a charity chosen by the Prine family.
This double album on randomly colored vinyl stands to raise over $10,000 to help the homeless in Nashville.
1. Family Worship Center - ''There She Goes''
2. Jeff Mix and The Songhearts - ''Speed of the Sound of Loneliness''
3. Heaven Honey - ''Down by the Side of the Road''
4. Seth Martin and The Dish Boys - ''Quiet Man''
5. The Coal Men - ''Daddy’s Little Pumpkin''
1. Chris Crofton - ''Lake Marie''
2. Chandelle - ''Lonesome Friends of Science''
3. Justin and The Cosmics - ''Clay Pigeons''
4. Treasure Mammal - ''I Remember Everything''
5. Hamilton Boyce - ''That’s the Way the World Goes Round''
1. Mick Mullin - ''You Never Even Call Me By My Name''
2. Krista Shows - ''Christmas in Prison''
3. T. Hardy Morris - ''Sour Grapes''
4. Garrison Starr and Will Kimbrough - ''If You Don’t Want My Love''
5. IFJAMS - ''Glory of True Love''
1. The Smoking Flowers - ''Your Flag Decal Won’t Get You Into Heaven Anymore''
2. Dude City - ''Angel From Montgomery''
3. Mike Giacolino ft. Junior Tutwiler - ''Everybody''
4. Paul Nelson - ''He Forgot That It Was Sunday''
5. Local Opener - ''Pretty Good''
- Label: Devil's Tower
- UPC: 638302585712